Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Since 1974, the Mankato Area Foundation (MAF) has been guided by our values – to be a responsive and collaborative community partner. As a leader in philanthropy, we work to support a vibrant and strong region through connecting donors, nonprofits and civic partners.
We are committed to real change within our organization and our region. At MAF, we strive to foster a culture that respects, and values human diversity in its many forms, such as ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation and identification, age, economic circumstance, class, disability/ability, geography and philosophy among others.
Our commitment begins with the adoption of the following principles:
- Examining ourselves as individuals, learning about our conscious and unconscious biases and taking action to become allies with our communities
- Learning about how and what we can do better to build, support, and nourish a more diverse, equitable and inclusive environment within our organization and our region
- Appreciate individual differences and encouraging the authentic inclusion of diverse perspectives, opinions, backgrounds, abilities and experiences
- Support efforts to expand who is engaged in philanthropy both as philanthropists and grantees
- Work with the philanthropic community and grantees to achieve a shared responsibility around reaching diversity, equity and inclusion goals
The Mankato Area Foundation Board of Directors and staff take this commitment seriously. While we acknowledge that this is a process of ongoing learning, we aspire to continue to adopt tangible, sustainable diversity, equity, and inclusion policies and practices that are guided by our organizational mission and rooted in our values.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Through Accessibility
As part of our diversity and inclusion strategy, website visitors can now access various accessibility and language support tools to customize their digital experience through Recite Me assistive technology.
Recite Me is innovative cloud-based software that helps one in four people in the US who have a disability, including those with common conditions like sight loss and dyslexia, access our website in the way that suits them best. It also meets the needs of one in five people in the US who speak a language other than English at home by translating our web content into over 100 different languages. Learn More
Greater Mankato Inclusivity Study
Our partners are excited to share the results of one of the largest privately, publicly and nonprofit-funded inclusivity studies in the United States.
This report identifies critical themes in community perceptions and experiences surrounding equity, diversity, inclusivity and belonging in this area—including age, gender, ethnicity and abilities in Blue Earth and Nicollet Counties.
The study was publicly and privately funded and was conducted by a national firm, IC Edge.